In this section you will find a full list of our clinical departments, diagnostic units and outpatient clinics. Also covered is basic health care, the Centre for Innovative Therapies and the Hospital Emergency Department. Please select a unit for further details.
The Hospital consists of 31 clinical departments, 9 diagnostic units and more than 60 specialised outpatient clinics. The clinical departments offer between them 1354 hospital beds, which number places us among the largest hospitals both in the region and in Poland. Each of our departments is staffed with highly trained professionals pursuing a mission to ensure that each of our patients receives an optimum level of service.
Every year, we attend to:
- Approximately 75 thousand in-patients;
- More than 3600 newborn babies;
- Approximately 500 patients in day-wards; and
- 380 thousand patients at the clinics.
- Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology diagnoses and treats the upper and lower sections of the gastrointestinal tract, including absorption disorders; inflammatory bowel diseases, especially the Crohn disease; ulcerative colitis; infectious bowel diseases; chronic liver diseases caused by viral infections, metabolic disorders or alcohol;
- Department of General and Polytraumatic Surgery
- Department of Infectious Diseases diagnoses and treatsespecially of the central nervous system, zoonoses and parasitic diseases, the Lyme disease, HIV infections and AIDS.
- Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation
- Department of Internal Medicine is a fully featured unit of internal medicine focused specifically on ageing-associated diseases. The Department has grown to become the largest centre on Poland’s limited geriatric market. Constitutive departments include: internal diseases and geriatrics, intensive care, toxicology, geriatrics, rheumatology, pain therapy and palliative care.
- Department of Allergy and Immunology treats most of existing internal diseases, but focuses particularly on immunology-based diseases. We also treat congenital and acquired blood hypercoagulability conditions. Our Angiology Unit diagnoses and treats cardiac and vascular diseases. Most of treatments offered are invasive and focused on peripheral arteries of the lower limbs and on cardiac infarction.
- Department of Pulmonology diagnoses and treats diseases of the respiratory tract, including carcinoma, sleep apnoea and rare diseases. The unit specialises in heavy and severe asthma, including asthma with oversensitivity to aspirin and to other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Department of Endocrinology diagnoses all conditions of the endocrine system, performs laboratory testing and isotopic image analyses. This includes all diagnostic areas of static imaging of the thyroid gland, pituitary gland, the bone system and parathyroid glands, lungs and stomach and of the static and dynamic liver, heart, kidneys and brain.
- Department of Metabolic Diseases specialises in treating diabetes, including providing comprehensive care of diabetic patients starting from the diagnosis of the disease (treatment of acidosis and diabetic comas), to education and re-education of patients using an on-going inpatient and outpatient curriculum, and diagnosing liver, eye and nervous system complications.
- Department of Nephrology specialises in the conservative treatment of kidneys and in the invasive treatment of acute and end-stage renal insufficiency using haemodialysis and peritoneal continuous and intermittent dialysis. Certain procedures used in acute renal insufficiency are performed also in the patient's home. At the surgery room physicians implement and correct arteriovenous fistulae, permanent catheters for haemodialysis and catheter implants for peritoneal dialyses.
- Department of Heamatology
- 1st Department of Cardiology, Interventional Electrocardiology and Arterial Hypertension is a full-profile cardiology unit offering diagnostics and treatment services in all cardiologic conditions. It has an Intensive Cardiologic Care Unit equipped with advanced technology for treating patients with cardiac infarction, after circulatory arrests or with cardiogenic shock. The Department has an Electrophysiology Laboratory to diagnose and treat cardiac dysrhythmia and to implant all types of pacemakers. We also have a cryoablation system.
- 2nd Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Interventions focuses primarily on diagnosing and treating the coronary disease and its complications, organic heart disease and cardiomyopathy. The Department performs most of diagnostic and therapeutic invasive cardiology tests known today. A Haeomdynamics Laboratory offers a full profile of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures on coronary arteries, peripheral arteries and dialysis fistulae. Additionally we offer percutaneous closure of defects in the interatrial septum, FFR measurements, IVUS, VH and OCT testing and qualification of patients to a percutaneous aortic valve implants.
- Department of General, Oncological and Gastroenterological Surgery is a highly specialised medical unit offering surgical treatment services of chronic and acute surgical conditions, especially malignant diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, mastopathy and kidney transplants. Most of the patients have gastrointestinal neoplasms, endocrine tumour or breast diseases. Surgery operations of the pancreas, liver, stomach and colon are performed using cutting-edge surgical technology.
- Department of Gynaecology and Oncology offers both comprehensive diagnostics of carcinoma diseases of the reproductive organ and their treatment using surgery, chemotherapy and brachytherapy. Radical surgery treatment is also performed in breast cancer diseases and breast reconstruction surgeries. Other items in the Department’s profile include diagnostics and treatment of the sexual organ statistic disorder, plastic surgeries of the lower genital organ and reconstructive surgeries.
- Department of Obstetrics and Perinatology attends to women with pregnancy complications caused by diabetes, arterial hypertension and other circulatory system diseases, by serological conflicts, autoimmunological diseases and other problems requiring specialised diagnostics and appropriate action. Patients are offered modern diagnostics including prenatal tests, both invasive and non-invasive, and biochemical and biophysical tests both during pregnancy and in the puerperium.
- Department of Gynaecology and Endocrinology specialises in diagnosing and treating disorders of the reproductive system in women, recurring endometriosis and miscarriage, complications of the menopausal period, diagnostics and treatment of primary and secondary infertility and in surgical procedures involved in it, as well as in complications of early pregnancy. The latest in biochemical, imaging and surgery techniques are used in the diagnostics and treatment.
- Department of Neonatology is the only clinical department at the University Hospital that attends to non-adults. The Department is a leading unit in Poland in the application of non-invasive neonatal ventilation. The departmental team pioneered in Poland the application and development of modes of operation in providing breathing support from the first living minute. They also developed methods of treating neonatal sepsis and are currently working on modifying of the total parenteral feeding for the smallest patients weighing in the order of hundreds of grams.
- Department of Oncology provides guidance to diagnostic testing and offers treatment of all solid neoplasms, including non-standard therapies. A full range of testing is provided in conjunction with the Hospital’s diagnostic Units for advanced neoplasm diagnostics. The Department collaborates with other teaching hospitals in Poland in diagnostic cases requiring certain highly specific tests. The Department has a capability for cutting-edge oncological therapies, including molecular-focus therapies.
- Department of Neurology diagnoses diseases of the nervous system using computer tomography, magnetic resonance, brain angiography, myelography, radiculography, electromyography and histopathology testing, including electron microscopy, samples of nerves, muscles and even brain, as well as using conservative treatment of all diseases of the nervous system.
- Department of Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology performs ca. 2200 specialised surgeries in the area of neurotraumatology, neurooncology, angiopathy of the brain, surgery of the spine and in pain syndromes. We perform a full range of neurosurgery and neurotraumatology procedures, including those that require most advanced equipment (e.g. stereotaxy, neuronavigation, surgery monitoring, microsurgery, etc.) or external cooperation.
- Department of Ophthalmology and Ocular Oncology is s leading ocular oncology centre in Poland. The Department uses new methods of treatment of intraocular tumours, including perscleral tumour resection under general anaesthesia and hypotension and photodynamic therapy of the agioma of the choroid. In the last few years, the Department team has started using transpupilar thermotherapy in the treatment of intraocular tumours. In January 2011, the Department opened Poland’s first Proton Radiotherapy Laboratory.
- Department of Dermatology offers diagnostics and treatment of diseases of: the skin, skin appendages and subcutaneous tissue; sexually transmitted diseases; skin allergic diseases; connective tissue diseases; and neoplastic skin diseases. With the support of other clinical departments and diagnostic units the Department of Dermatology offers a unique interdisciplinary care environment for dermatological patients in Poland.
- Department of Otolaryngology diagnoses and surgically treats conditions of ears, nose, parenasal sinuses, throat and larynx. The department has its own diagnostic laboratories and 4 operation theatres. Postoperative patients are provided with comfortable conditions at an intensive medical care unit. The team performs orbital surgeries of retrobulbar tumours, surgeries of the nose and parenasal sinuses and other otolaryngology operations. Certain high-precision and large-scale oncological surgeries performed by the departmental team often involve a reconstruction of the resected organ.
- Department of Urology and Urologic Oncology is a full-profiled unit offering comprehensive diagnostics and treatment of urological diseases, including a full range of urological services and non-standard operations. The Department specialises in urological traumatology and reconstructive urology, especially of the penis and urethra. Our other specialisations include early diagnostics of the neoplasm of the bladder, prostate and liver by intravital staining of bladder tumours and subsequent microcytoscopy and prostate cancer diagnostics with per rectal magnetic resonance and proton spectroscopy.
- Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation
- Department of Rescue Medicine and Multiorgan Trauma specialises in treating effects of the most severe trauma. Diagnostic and treatment standards developed by the team have helped produce success levels on a par with the best hospitals worldwide and have been gradually adopted throughout Poland. The Department is also developing its knee-joint surgery specialisation, including diagnostic and treatment arthroscopy covering the reconstruction of the ligament system; endoprosthetics of the hip joint in cases of trauma or coxarthrosis.
- Department of Endoscopic, Metabolic and Soft Tissue Malignancies Surgery
- Department of Adult Psychiatry treats psychological disorders through biological treatment, psychotherapy, family therapy and the therapy of relationships, art therapy and rehabilitation influences. Our treatment of patients involves dealing with problems of their families where psychological education activities are proposed.
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry diagnoses psychological disorders in children and youth including by use of individual psychiatric and psychological diagnosis, the family and systemic diagnosis. The team offers inpatient treatment, whether overnight, daytime, or home-patient, and also individual, family and group outpatient treatment.
- Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Unit no. 1
- Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Unit no. 2
- Department of Vascular Surgery
- Department of Angiology and Cardiology
- Clinic of Pain Research and Managment provides multidimensional assistance to patients suffering from acute and chronic pain. The Unit offers treatment to patients with both cancer and non-cancer pain and diagnoses and treats various pain syndromes using the latest knowledge in the field.
- Department of Diagnostics offers a full range of laboratory testing, including analytical, haematological, coagulological, biochemical, immunochemical and toxicological tests for the Hospital and external customers.
- Department of Microbiology performs microbiological testing for the Hospital, including: bacteriological, mycological, parasitological and immunodiagnostic.
- Department of Imagine Studies performs tests in the areas of: (Magnetic resonance, Computer tomography, Angiography, Operational radiology, Ultrasonography, Mammography, X-ray (radiography and fluoroscopy))
- Department of Psychotherapy offers comprehensive and intensive group therapies for adults with neurotic and personality disorders and with behavioural syndromes (mainly anorexia and bulimia and sexual disorders).
- Department of Rehabilitation offers services in neurological rehabilitation at a day-care department.
- Department of Hematologic Diagnostics
- Department of Pathomorphology